Sunday, July 5, 2009

TREK

Shane and I had one of the greatest opportunities this last week. We went on TREK with our stake as part of the food committee. I have always wanted to go, but when I was YW Pres a few years back they didn't allow the youth leaders to go and I was so bummed. So this year we were asked to help with the food so we jumped on board. Being a part of TREK was such an awesome experience for me. It was something I needed spiritually.


The picture above is of our 5th wheel loaded to the max with 40 coolers and bread and rolls and paper towels and everything else that we needed. We also had our 4 wheeler trailer there with boxes of potatoes and apples and cantaoupe and watermelon and whatever else you need to feed 300 people in 4 days.We cooked 3 meals a day. Some were for all 300 people and some were just for the support staff of 60. We were exhausted at the end of the day and slept out under the stars and we were woken every morning by cows mooing or the seagulls. It was beautiful! There were 4 couples in our committee and we had so much fun together. Good times!

We participated in the women's pull and I gained a new appreciation for the pioneer women and all that they endured with their journeys across the plains. I pulled and pulled with a family up this enormous hill and was completely spent when we got to the top. I walked to try to regain my strength and breath when I saw Shane walking toward me and I broke down. I began sobbing like a baby. It was such an emotional experience to push myself to such a point of exhaustion but to think about those women who did this with their little children along the way, without the support of their husbands and sons. My tears were for them and it was then that I knew for myself that I can and will endure anything that comes my way. Those pioneer women give me strength to endure! My struggles are simple but I will always remember this experience and will always draw strength from this experience and these pioneer women.
I'm thankful for the time we spent on TREK. I loved being with my husband and our friends and enjoying the outdoors together. If I get a chance again down the road, I will definitely go again!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds exhusting, but you always make things so positive, glad you enjoyed it -

Steph said...

Wow. Sounds like such a neat experience!

Nikki said...

My husband and I went on TREK back in June too. We were a Ma and Pa. It was an amazing experience. I am glad yours was also.

Becki Madsen said...

We went on our trek four years ago, I must agree with you what an amazing experience it was! I had a great great great gma who was part of the Martin handcart company so it was prettty amazing to know what she went through! Glad you had a great time!